The Association through the Death Benefits Scheme will make a payment under the following circumstances:
- The death of a financial member;
- The death of a financial member’s spouse or nominated partner; or
- The death of financial member’s dependent child.In the case of a death of a financial member the payment is made to a nominated beneficiary or if no such person has been nominated, to the estate of the deceased member.
This Scheme is designed to cover the initial loss of income and unexpected costs to the family, and alleviate unnecessary anxiety at a distressing time.
The amounts payable are as follows;
- Upon the death of a financial member .049% of a level 1 Constable’s salary multiplied by the number of financial members;
- Upon the death of a spouse/nominated partner/dependent child 50% of the benefit payable upon the death of a member.
This amount is paid by the Association. If there is a subsequent death of a financial member in the same financial year each financial member is levied .049% of a level 1 Constable’s salary.
There is no levy for the death of a spouse/nominated partner/dependent child
Death Benefit nomination forms can be updated at any time. The form is available on this site or you can contact the Association office and we will arrange to have one sent to you. Once we receive the updated form, the previous one becomes invalid.
This advice should be read in conjunction with Rule 65 of the Rules, Constitution & By-Laws of the Police Association of Tasmania.